Detox Your Thoughts
In Detox Your Thoughts, popular psychologist Andrea Bonior, PhD, identifies the 10 most prevalent mental traps that make people feel anxious, insecure, and generally just bad.
Clinical psychologist Andrea Bonior has spent over twenty years studying, teaching, and practicing the science of thoughts, emotions, and behavior. In Detox Your Thoughts, she uses the latest research into mindfulness, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), and Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to teach you to understand your thoughts—and your body—in a completely different way.
To challenge negative self-talk, you must change the way you relate to your thoughts altogether. Bonior shows us how to create new mental pathways that truly stick. For each of the ten mental traps, Bonior offers a new habit to practice, including:
- leaning into your feelings
- recognizing and counteracting your blind spots to gain insight
- valuing the present moment, and immersing yourself in it.
Bonior deciphers the latest research in psychology and neuroscience to help disempower and conquer self-sabotaging thoughts with specific and actionable steps. You’re not erasing negative thoughts, but rather growing bigger than they are—and improving your mental and emotional life along the way.
- Andrea Bonior is a popular psychologist and contributor to BuzzFeed and the Washington Post.
- Detox Your Thoughts was inspired by her popular BuzzFeed challenge of the same name.
- Bonior's mental health advice column, “Baggage Check,” has appeared for 14 years in the Washington Post and several other newspapers nationwide.
With bite-sized psychology takes on the thought patterns that plague most people and a practical approach to quitting negative self-talk for good, Detox Your Thoughts is a transformational read.
- Perfect for readers of the Washington Post's “Baggage Check” column, Goodful's Detox Your Thoughts, Psychology Today, and The Cut's “Science of Us.”
- Also a good fit for those who love pop psychology, self-help books, and any books related to motivation or happiness.
- Fans of Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World by Max Lucado, 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do by Amy Morin, and Dare: The New Way to End Anxiety and Stop Panic Attacks by Barry McDonagh will want this.
About the Author
Dr. Andrea Bonior is the psychologist behind the popular "Baggage Check" advice column and live chat for the Washington Post and The Lily. Her "Detox Your Thoughts" challenge for BuzzFeed went viral, and her PsychologyToday.com blog has garnered more than 13 million views. She has been interviewed by NPR, Today, and Good Morning America, and has been published by the New York Times, USA Today, Glamour, Self, and Refinery29. A sought-after speaker, she serves on the faculty of Georgetown University. She lives the Washington D.C. area.